Job Title Area Coordinator (Western Bahr el Ghazal, South Sudan)
Organisation Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance (JUH)
Organisation Description Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide.
As Johanniter we are committed to safeguarding those who are in contact with our organisation and to exemplifying the highest standards of ethical behavior regardless of the race, creed or nationality
Job Location Wau, South Sudan (frequent travels to field locations and Juba as required)
Closing Date Application 28 April 2019
Estimated Date of Interviews 06 - 07 May 2019
The overall objective of Johanniter in South Sudan is to reduce people’s vulnerability, specifically through contributing to morbidity and mortality reduction by improving the population’s health and nutrition status. Furthermore, improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), and protection services are an existential part of Johanniter’s South Sudan programme. At present, Johanniter runs eight integrated projects in former Western Bahr el Ghazal State (WBeG) of South Sudan focusing on maternal and basic health, nutrition (CMAM), WASH and GBV/Protection. Funding is secured through the German Federal Foreign Office, UN organisations (WFP, UNDP and UNICEF) as well as a variety of private foundations. One of our strategic goals is to continue our comprehensive programme in WBeG through to 2020 and beyond, while seeking opportunities to expand our programmes in other areas of South Sudan.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall Job purpose:
The Area coordinator is a senior international staff position within Johanniter International Assistance in South Sudan. The overall objective of the position is to oversee all Johanniter programme implementation in Western Bahr el Ghazal.
Reporting to: Head of Mission South Sudan (direct supervisor)
Head of Desk Africa in Berlin HQ (next level supervisor)
Receives technical advice from: Desk Officer HQ, Finance and HR Coordinator (Juba)
Supervising: All staff (1 expat and 42 National colleagues) in Western Bahr el Ghazal (direct line management of Operations Support Coordinator and Project Coordinator)
Standing in for: Project Coordinator Wau / Operational Support Coordinator Wau
Replaced by: Project Coordinator Wau / Operational Support Coordinator Wau
Strategy and Programme Development
· Contribute to the development of the country strategy based on the global Johanniter strategy. Identify new programmes through assessments that support the achievement of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country (including rapid humanitarian assistance in case of disasters in coordination with Head of Mission and HQ).
· Assess and build partnerships with new national, international or local partner organisations.
· Develop exit strategies and handover – if applicable.
· In coordination with the Head of Mission, oversee the establishment and implementation of programmes in WBeG.
· Ensure that the WGeG office team and partners have the necessary tools, resources information and assistance to deliver services that meet or exceed internationally accepted standards and protocols.
· Cooperate closely with existing local partners, provide and organize capacity building, support, input and guidance.
· Work closely with M&E Coordinator to ensure that proper monitoring and evaluation systems for program activities are in place and adhered to, and that programmes reach their objectives in an efficient and effective manner.
· In coordination with the Head of Mission, supervise and coach partners and staff to develop and write high quality proposals and reports for donors and Johanniter HQ and ensure timely submission.
Human Resource and Team Management
· Create and maintain a culture of team spirit and ensure all staff is committed to strive for high performance contributing to the achievement of the strategic ambitions of JUH.
· Recruit and hire national staff according to HR plans agreed by the Head of Mission.
· Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular bilaterals and performance reviews.
· Ensure both individual and team development and capacity building.
Financial-, Logistics and Compliance Management
· Ensure that systems are in place that allow all Johanniter and relevant donor policies and guidelines to be implemented and adhered to.
· Develop, monitor and forecast the annual operational budget and ensure timely management of financial reporting, audit compliance and cash flow.
· Work closely with Finance Coordinator, Global Support Unit (GSU) and HQ on all financial and logistical issues.
· Pro-actively follow-up recommendations of internal/external audits wherever relevant for WBeG office
· Prevent and proactively fight against corruption and investigate suspected fraud cases.
Safety and Security
· Prioritise Safety and Integrity of all WBeG-based staff at all times.
· constantly monitor the security situation and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment.
· Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that valid guidelines are followed and adapted as required at all levels, that maximum preventive measures are taken and that the team of Expats and National Staff is safe and well informed at all times.
· Review and update of the WBeG security and contingency plan in intervals agreed with the Head of Mission and guarantee that all guidelines are understood and respected.
· Maintain regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders (UNDSS, INSO etc.).
Representation and Communication
· Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter in Western Bahr el Ghazal with donors, the host government, international and national organizations, and coordination fora
· Support Media and Press work in conjunction with the Head of Mission and HQ Communication Desk; contribute to preparation of regular reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department
Professional Qualification and Experience:
The Area Coordinator needs to hold a university degree in a relevant field (e.g.in public health, humanitarianism, conflict and development, international development, etc.)
· At least 3 years of work experience in a humanitarian context, minimum 1 years of proven leadership skills and experience
· Experience in implementing public health, WASH, or Nutrition projects for international NGOs
· Experience in working with national and regional authorities, national and international partners including partnership development
· Experience in project development, coordination management of (multiple) donor funded project (e.g. EU, UN, German Foreign Office and Ministry of Cooperation etc.)
· Experience in security management
· Experience in conducting health and/or nutrition baseline assessments, (including SMART surveys) is an asset
· Previous working experience in South Sudan is an asset
· The capacity to understand a changing context
· The capacity to manage a team in changing humanitarian context;
· The capacity to motivate and mobilize the team around the key issues for the organisation; and
· Good knowledge of international standards and tools in humanitarian and development aid
· Strong written and oral communication, diplomacy and negotiation skills
· Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
Terms and Conditions
Start date: ASAP
Contract duration: definite contract for 11 months (with possible extension)
Remuneration: 46.788 € - 49.251 annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR-DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
· Maximum one month salary as annual special payment (depending on length of service within the year)
· Social security provisions (lump sum 375 € per month) (for expats not falling under social security)
· International insurance package
· 29 days annual paid leave
· Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
· Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 28€ per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates in case available) should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “SSD-Area Coordinator” in the subject line of email and mention your earliest date of availability
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.