Job Title Head of Mission Middle East
Organisation Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WaSH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
Job Location Amman, Jordan / with frequent travel to project locations in the Middle East
Closing Date Application Sunday, July 22, 2018
Johanniter started their activities in Jordan, Lebanon and Syria in 2012, providing emergency aid to Syrian refugees and the affected local population. All support measures are implemented through local partner organisations. According to the Johanniter core competencies, these measures focus on public health, the provision of emergency aid and services in the fields of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities, but also include education and livelihood. Further activities have comprised the distribution of aid goods and cash assistance, as well as the rehabilitation of shelters, and services in the fields of water, sanitation and hygiene. Currently, the Johanniter are operating a Country Office in Amman, which monitors projects in Jordan, Syria, Lebanon, the Palestinian Territories, West Bank and Iraq.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
The Head of Mission is responsible for the planning, management and development of all Johanniter programmes in the Middle East and for ensuring that all activities are within the strategic framework of Johanniter. The Head of Mission provides strategic leadership to develop and maintain strong national and local partnerships, develop and nurture a high performing team and has ultimate responsibility for all security issues. He/she positions and protects the organisation. The Head of Mission cooperates closely with the HQ in Berlin.
Reporting to: Regional Head of Desk (Berlin) (first level supervisor)
Director International Assistance (Berlin) (next level supervisor)
Supervises: Finance, HR and Admin Coordinator, Medical Coordinator – National Staff
Standing in for: Finance, HR and Admin Coordinator, Medical Coordinator
Replaced by: Medical Coordinator
Strategy and Programme Development
· Lead the development and achievement of the country strategy based on global Johanniter strategy.
· Identify new programmes through assessments which support the achievement of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country (including rapid humanitarian assistance in case of disasters in coordination with HQ).
· Assess and build partnerships with new national, international or local partner organisations.
· Proactively explore, evaluate and present new country and project funding opportunities with both institutional and private donors.
· Develop exit strategies and handover – if applicable.
· Oversee the establishment and implementation of programms.
· Ensure that the country office team and partners have the necessary tools, resources information and assistance to deliver services that meet or exceed internationally accepted standards and protocols.
· Cooperate closely with existing national partners, provide and organize capacity building, support, input and guidance.
· Ensure that proper monitoring and evaluation systems for program activities are in place and adhered to and ensure objectives are reached in an efficient and effective manner.
· Supervise and coach partners and staff to develop and write high quality proposals and reports for donors and Johanniter HQ and ensure timely submission.
· Drafting proposals and logframes.
Human Resource and Team Management
· Create and maintain a culture of team spirit and ensure all staff is committed to strive for high performance contributing to the achievement of the strategic ambitions of JUH.
· Recruit and hire national staff and recruit international staff in cooperation with HQ.
· Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular bilaterals and performance reviews.
· Ensure both individual and team development and capacity building.
· Exercise and provide all necessary measures for Duty of Care and for JUH to act as fair employer.
Financial-, Logistics and Compliance Management
· Ensure that systems are in place that allow all Johanniter and relevant donor policies and guidelines to be implemented and adhered to.
· Develop, monitor and forecast the annual operational budget and ensure timely management of financial reporting, audit compliance and cash flow.
· Work closely with Finance Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator and HQ on all financial and logistical issues.
· Responsible for all legal matters in country (taxation, labour law, registration, insurances etc.) and ensure fiscal controls and donor required policy controls are carried out.
· Pro-actively follow-up recommendations of internal/external audits.
· Prevent and proactively fight against corruption and investigate suspected fraud cases.
Safety and Security
· Prioritise Safety and Integrity of all staff at all times.
· Constantly monitor the security situation and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment.
· Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that valid guidelines are followed and adapted as required at all levels, that maximum preventive measures are taken and that the team of Expats and National Staff is safe and well informed at all times.
· Review and update of the security and contingency plan in intervals agreed with HQ and guarantee that all guidelines are understood and respected.
· Maintain regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders (UNDSS, INSO etc.).
Representation and Communication
· Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter in in the Middle East with donors, the host government, international and national organizations, and coordination for a.
· Support Media and Press work in conjunction with the HQ Communication Desk, prepare regular reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department, respond to media and press requests.
Professional Qualification and Experience:
The Head of Mission needs to hold a university degree in a relevant field
· At least 5 years of experience in a humanitarian context/international development, minimum 3 years of proven leadership skills and experience
· Experience in implementing public health/ WASH/ Food security and livelihood/ nutrition projects for international NGOs
· Experience in working with national authorities, national and international partners including partnership development and proposal writing
· Experience in project development, coordination management of (multiple) donor funded project (EU, UN, German Foreign Office and Ministry of Cooperation etc.)
· Experience in security management
· Experience in conducting health and/or livelihood baseline assessments, (including SMART surveys)
· Previous working experience in the Middle East
· The capacity to understand a changing context
· The capacity to manage a team in changing humanitarian context;
· The capacity to motivate and mobilize the team around the key issues for the organisation; and
· Good knowledge of international standards and tools in humanitarian and development aid
· Strong written and oral communication, diplomacy and negotiation skills
· Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills; fluency in German is of advantage
· Arabic would be an asset
Terms and Conditions
Start date: asap
Contract duration: Definite contract (with possible extension)
Remuneration: Between 51.380 € and 54.084 € annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR-J internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
Benefits: - Annual special payment (13th month salary)
- Social security provisions (lump sum 485 € per month) (for expats not falling
under social security)
- Rental Contribution of 300 € per month
- International insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave
- Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 38 €
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application process
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the closing date.