Job Title Head of Mission
Organisation Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WaSH as well as Food Security & Income Generation worldwide.
As Johanniter we are committed to safeguarding those who are in contact with our organisation and to exemplifying the highest standards of ethical behavior regardless of the race, creed or nationality.
Job Location Beira, Mozambique
Closing Date Application Sunday, April 21, 2019
Interviews are scheduled ASAP
Johanniter International Assistance responds to the humanitarian emergency resulting from tropical cyclone IDA that made landfall in Mozambique on March 14th, 2019. While medical and WASH emergency response measures are underway, Johanniter is planning to remain active and support the region in mid-terms recovery activities.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
The Head of Mission is responsible for the planning, management and development of all Johanniter programmes in Mozambique and probably Zimbabwe and for ensuring that all activities are within the strategic framework of Johanniter. S/he will technically supervise our project partners in implementing our programme in the field. S/he will also be responsible for assessments and the evaluation of activities as well as writing of proposals for different donors. The Head of Mission cooperates closely with the Global Support Unit (GSU) and HQ in Berlin.
Reporting to: Regional Head of Desk in HQ (first level supervisor)
Director International Assistance in HQ (next level supervisor)
Supervises: all staff members (national and international staff)
Receives technical advice from: Public Health Advisor, M&E Advisor
Gives technical advice to: ./.
Standing in for: Finance, Logistics and HR Coordinator
Represented by: Finance, Logistics and HR Coordinator
Strategy and Programme Development
· Lead the development and achievement of the country strategy based on global Johanniter strategy.
· Identify new programmes through assessments which support the achievement of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country
· Assess and build partnerships with new national, international or local partner organisations.
· Proactively explore, evaluate and present new country and project funding opportunities with both institutional and private donors.
· Develop exit strategy and handover.
· Design, plan and coordinate all projects in course of humanitarian aid and development cooperation in line with beneficiary needs, national policies as well as Johanniter and donor programme objectives and policies and international standards
· Supervise and ensure the effective and efficient implementation of all programme activities, review management systems and make appropriate improvements at field level
· Support and supervise national partners in effective and efficient management of projects implementation in line with the project management cycle, program objectives, log frames, activities and indicators
· Ensure cost effective planning, monitoring/supervision and evaluation of the activities of current and future projects
· Co-ordinate activities between the field sites, project partners and the country office
· Recognise further needs and conduct assessments where needed for project proposals including partnership assessments
· Lead the development and submission of high quality concept notes and proposals
· Support programme teams in contract management systems, grant inception workshops, timely submission of quality donor reports and donor compliances
· Capacity building of local partner organisations and project related staff
Programme Monitoring and Evaluation
· Ensure project monitoring systems are in place and that reviews are undertaken periodically in conjunction with project partners and relevant local stakeholders
· Monitor and maintain compliance with standard Johanniter procedures and guidelines
· Initiate regular project team meetings at all field sites to ensure successful project implementation
· Monitor the evolving humanitarian situation in the project regions and consider strategic and immediate responses
· Regular travel to all field sites depending on project needs and upon clearance for security
· Work closely with the M&E Officer regarding evaluations of project activities
Human Resource and Team Management
· Create and maintain a culture of team spirit and ensure all staff is committed to strive for high performance contributing to the achievement of the strategic ambitions of JUH.
· Recruit and hire national staff and recruit international staff in cooperation with HQ.
· Exercise and provide all necessary measures for Duty of Care and for JUH to act as fair employer.
Financial-, Logistics and Compliance Management
· Ensure that systems are in place that allow all Johanniter and relevant donor policies and guidelines to be implemented and adhered to.
· Work closely with Finance Coordinator, GSU and HQ on all financial and logistical issues.
· Responsible for all legal matters in country (taxation, labour law, registration, insurances etc.) and ensure fiscal controls and donor required policy controls are carried out.
· Prevent and proactively fight against corruption and investigate suspected fraud cases.
Safety and Security
· Prioritise Safety and Integrity of all staff at all times.
· Constantly monitor the security situation and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment.
· Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that valid guidelines are followed and adapted as required at all levels, that maximum preventive measures are taken and that the team of Expats and National Staff is safe and well informed at all times.
· Maintain regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders (UNDSS, INSO etc.).
Representation and Communication
· Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter in Mozambique and possibly Zimbabwe with donors, the host government, international and national organizations, and coordination fora
· Support Media and Press work in conjunction with the HQ Communication Desk, prepare regular reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department, respond to media and press requests.
Professional Qualification and Experience:
· University degree in a relevant field (preferably in Public Health, International Development, Rural Development or similar)
· At least 5 years of experience in a humanitarian context, minimum 3 years of proven leadership skills and experience
· Experience in implementing public health/ WASH/ nutrition projects for international NGOs
· Experience in working with national authorities, national and international partners including partnership development
· Experience in project development, coordination management of (multiple) donor funded project (EU, UN, German Government etc.)
· Experience in security management
· Experience in conducting health and/or livelihood baseline assessments, (including SMART surveys)
· Previous working experience in Southern Africa
· The capacity to understand a changing context
· The capacity to manage a team in changing humanitarian context;
· The capacity to motivate and mobilize the team around the key issues for the organisation; and
· Good knowledge of international standards and tools in humanitarian and development aid
· Strong written and oral communication, diplomacy and negotiation skills
· Fluency in English and Portuguese with excellent verbal and written communication skills
· German would be an asset
Travel to project sites is part of the job.
Terms and Conditions
Start date: ASAP
Contract duration: Definite contract for 6 months (with possible extension)
Remuneration: Between 53184 and 55980€ annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
Benefits: - Social security provisions (lump sum 485€ per month) (for expats not falling
under social security)
- International insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave
- Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 31€
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application process
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates if available) should be sent to: email@example.com. Please indicate “HoM MOZ” in the subject line of your e-mail and mention your earliest date of availability.
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please be advised that due to the urgency of the situation, we will start short-listing as soon as applications are coming in. Only shortlisted candidates will be notified.