Job Title Head of Mission
Organisation Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Organisation Description Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting projects in Health, Nutrition, WaSH as well as Food Security & Livelihoods worldwide.
Job Location Kampala, Uganda / with frequent travel to project locations
Closing Date Application: 17 February 2019
Interviews are scheduled for: 18 – 22 February 2019
We are also open to accept applications of candidates who are available at short notice for a limited time period.
Johanniter has opened an office in Uganda in 2017. Since early 2018, projects with various national NGO partners are being implemented in the Northern and Western part of the country. The interventions focus on emergency response in rural settlements in the sectors of WASH and nutrition, as well as resilience-building of most vulnerable persons in both refugee and host communities. The mission in Uganda is now prioritizing to strengthen existing partnerships and scale up response activities.
Uganda is currently hosting over 1.1 million refugees. The country is receiving simultaneous emergency influxes from neighbouring countries. The humanitarian crisis in Southern Sudan has further intensified and worsened due to the increased impact of widespread violence and the deteriorating economic situation. While South Sudanese continue to arrive in Uganda, the most recent spike in displacement has been caused by an escalation of violence in Ituri and Nord Kivu provinces of northeast DRC since December 2017. The high refugee numbers have increasingly strained the humanitarian response in Uganda.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
The Head of Mission is responsible for the planning, management and development of all Johanniter programmes in Uganda and for ensuring that all activities are within the strategic framework of Johanniter. The Head of Mission provides strategic leadership to develop and maintain strong national and local partnerships, develop and nurture a high performing team and has ultimate responsibility for all security issues. He/she positions and protects the organisation. The Head of Mission cooperates closely with the Global Support Unit (GSU) and HQ in Berlin.
Reporting to: Regional Head of Desk in HQ (first level supervisor)
Director International Assistance in HQ (next level supervisor)
Supervises: national and international staff
Receives technical advice from: Public Health Advisor, M&E Advisor
Gives technical advice to: ./.
Standing in for: Finance Coordinator
Replaced by: Finance Coordinator
Strategy and Programme Development
· Lead the development and achievement of the country strategy based on global Johanniter strategy.
· Identify new programmes through assessments which support the achievement of Johanniter’s strategic objectives in the country (including rapid humanitarian assistance in case of disasters in coordination with HQ).
· Assess and build partnerships with new national, international or local partner organisations.
· Proactively explore, evaluate and present new country and project funding opportunities with both institutional and private donors.
· Develop exit strategies and handover – if applicable.
· Oversee the establishment and implementation of programmes.
· Ensure that the country office team and partners have the necessary tools, resources information and assistance to deliver services that meet or exceed internationally accepted standards and protocols.
· Cooperate closely with existing national partners, provide and organize capacity building, support, input and guidance.
· Ensure that proper monitoring and evaluation systems for program activities are in place and adhered to and ensure objectives are reached in an efficient and effective manner.
· Supervise and coach partners and staff to develop and write high quality proposals and reports for donors and Johanniter HQ and ensure timely submission.
Human Resource and Team Management
· Create and maintain a culture of team spirit and ensure all staff is committed to strive for high performance contributing to the achievement of the strategic ambitions of Johanniter.
· Recruit and hire national staff and recruit international staff in cooperation with HQ.
· Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback informally and formally via regular bilaterals and performance reviews.
· Ensure both individual and team development and capacity building.
· Exercise and provide all necessary measures for Duty of Care and for Johanniter to act as fair employer.
Financial-, Logistics and Compliance Management
· Ensure that systems are in place that allow all Johanniter and relevant donor policies and guidelines to be implemented and adhered to.
· Develop, monitor and forecast the annual operational budget and ensure timely management of financial reporting, audit compliance and cash flow.
· Work closely with Finance Coordinator, Logistics Coordinator, RSU and HQ on all financial and logistical issues.
· Responsible for all legal matters in country (taxation, labour law, registration, insurances etc.) and ensure fiscal controls and donor required policy controls are carried out.
· Pro-actively follow-up recommendations of internal/external audits.
· Prevent and proactively fight against corruption and investigate suspected fraud cases.
Safety and Security
· Prioritise Safety and Integrity of all staff at all times.
· Constantly monitor the security situation and establish a good understanding of the context and risks associated with a changing environment.
· Elaborate local Security Plans and ensure that valid guidelines are followed and adapted as required at all levels, that maximum preventive measures are taken and that the team of Expats and National Staff is safe and well informed at all times.
· Review and update of the security and contingency plan in intervals agreed with HQ and guarantee that all guidelines are understood and respected.
· Maintain regular contact with relevant networks and security stakeholders (UNDSS, INSO etc.).
Representation and Communication
· Build and strengthen external relationships and represent Johanniter in Uganda with donors, the host government, international and national organizations, and coordination fora
· Support Media and Press work in conjunction with the HQ Communication Desk, prepare regular reports, updates and articles for Johanniter Communication and Fundraising Department, respond to media and press requests.
Professional Qualification and Experience:
The Head of Mission needs to hold a university degree in a relevant field
· At least 5 years of experience in a humanitarian context/international development, minimum 3 years of proven leadership skills and experience
· Experience in implementing public health/ WASH/ Food security and livelihood/ nutrition projects for international NGOs
· Experience in working with national authorities, national and international partners including partnership development
· Experience in project development, coordination management of (multiple) donor funded project (EU, UN, German Foreign Office and Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development etc.)
· Experience in security management
· Experience in conducting health and/or livelihood baseline assessments (including SMART surveys) an asset
· Previous working experience in East Africa
· The capacity to understand a changing context
· The capacity to manage a team in changing humanitarian context;
· The capacity to motivate and mobilize the team around the key issues for the organisation
· Good knowledge of international standards and tools in humanitarian and development aid
· Strong written and oral communication, diplomacy and negotiation skills
· Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
· German language skills would be an asset
Travel to project sites is part of the job.
Terms and Conditions
Start date: asap
Contract duration: Definite contract for 12 months (with possible extension)
Remuneration: Between 51.360 € and 54.090 € annual gross salary (according to internal Johanniter tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
Benefits: - Social security provisions (lump sum 485 € per month) (for expats not falling
under social security)
- Rental Contribution of 300 € per month
- International insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave
- Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 29 €
In terms of the Johanniter policy any income tax liabilities in home and/or mission country are on the employee’s own account. Be aware that expats are tax liable in Uganda.
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.