Job Title Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning (MEAL) Coordinator
Organisation Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Organisation Description Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide.
As Johanniter we are committed to safeguarding those who are in contact with our organisation and to exemplifying the highest standards of ethical behavior regardless of the race, creed or nationality.
Job Location Wau, South Sudan (frequent travels to field locations and Juba as required)
Closing Date Application 28 April 2019
Estimated Date of Interviews 08 – 09 May 2019
The overall objective of Johanniter in South Sudan is to reduce people’s vulnerability, specifically through contributing to morbidity and mortality reduction by improving the population’s health and nutrition status. Furthermore, improved access to water, sanitation and hygiene (WASH), and protection services are an existential part of Johanniter’s South Sudan programme. At present, Johanniter runs eight integrated projects in former Western Bahr el Ghazal State (WBeG) of South Sudan focusing on maternal and basic health, nutrition (CMAM), WASH and GBV/Protection. Funding is secured through the German Federal Foreign Office, UN organisations (WFP, UNDP and UNICEF) as well as a variety of private foundations. One of our strategic goals is to continue our comprehensive programme in WBeG through to 2020 and beyond, while seeking opportunities to expand our programmes in other areas of South Sudan.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall Job purpose:
The M&E coordinator is a senior international staff position within Johanniter International Assistance in South Sudan. The overall objective of the position is to develop, implement and oversee the Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning for all Johanniter programmes in South Sudan.
Reporting to: Head of Mission South Sudan (direct supervisor)
Head of Desk Africa in Berlin HQ (next level supervisor)
Receives technical advice from: Desk Officer HQ, M&E Advisor HQ
Standing in for: -/-
Replaced by: -/-
Programme planning, development and quality:
· Support the response programme processes, particularly on programme logical frameworks and MEAL plans, and contribute to ensuring adherence to internal and donor standards.
· Responsible for estimating and setting MEAL resources in proposals’ budgets.
MEAL System development and implementation
· To define specific processes, methodologies and tools for MEAL and reporting, in line with donor principles and minimum requirements, working closely with partners when required.
· Oversee and support MEAL and project staff in timely implementation of monitoring framework and tools, to ensure quality and consistent information is available on programme performance and impact.
· Oversee quality assurance of all field data collection, data management, and analysis.
· Support implementation of baseline and endline surveys including the design of appropriate tools
· Contribute to, review and approve reports with qualitative and quantitative MEAL findings.
· Act as focal point for Johanniter’s beneficiary counting methodology and lead on the establishment of an improved beneficiary database system (including needs assessment, engaging appropriate technical support, and supporting rollout across the programme).
· Work closely with programme team in ensuring that all MEAL processes, methodologies and tools are gender sensitive.
· Contribute to timely and quality reporting.
· Develop ToRs and manage evaluations as per donor and organisation requirements
Accountability towards communities and other local stakeholders:
· Develop and continuously update accountability strategy and lead on establishment of feedback and complaint mechanisms.
· Oversee and ensure quality of feedback and complaint mechanisms including timely and adequate response.
· Share accountability findings with programme teams and senior management.
· Establish processes for systematic learning from feedback and complaints within Johanniter South Sudan
Capacity building for Johanniter and Partner staff:
· Facilitate the capacity building process of MEAL staff and partners (State Ministry of Health) on knowledge, skills and competencies necessary for effective MEAL through training and coaching.
· Advise programme managers and partner staff as required.
· Train project teams on using analysed data to inform programme quality control and future project development.
· Share relevant MEAL findings with programme teams and management in appropriate format to ensure the whole organisation benefits from and applies programme learning.
· Support the project team and partners in extracting lessons learnt and good practices, and documenting case studies that demonstrate qualitative and quantitative changes over the period.
Relevant work experience in M&E / MEAL in humanitarian settings. University degree in Statistics, Social Science, Information management, Demography, Social studies or any related field
· At least 5 years of experience in MEAL in the field of humanitarian aid and development cooperation
· At least 1 year of work experience in developing countries with a volatile security context, in Sub-Saharan Africa
· Experience in working with institutional donors and a variety of reporting requirements
· Experience in setting up and managing accountability mechanisms (feedbacks and complaints) both in terms of uptake and data management.
· Strong project management experience for complex multi-sectorial and integrated programming.
· Previous working experience in South Sudan is desirable
· Fluency in English with excellent verbal and written communication skills
· Confident and proficient in the use of MS Office
· Excellent strategic, analytical, systems thinking, and problem-solving skills, with capacity to see the big picture while keeping detail orientation and ability to make sound judgment and decisions.
· Demonstrated ability to transform complex MEAL data into visual products that are accessible to multiple audiences, from managers to implementers
· Diplomatic and an effective communicator at all levels
· Strong organisational skills
· Willingness to travel, live and work in a volatile security environment.
· Willingness to live in a team house with people of different cultures
Terms and Conditions
Start date: ASAP
Contract duration: definite contract for 11 months (with possible extension)
Remuneration: 41.118 € - 43.282 annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR-DWBO Annex Johanniter internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
· Maximum one month salary as annual special payment (depending on length of service within the year)
· Social security provisions (lump sum 375 € per month) (for expats not falling under social security)
· International insurance package
· 29 days annual paid leave
· Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
· Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 28€ per day)
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates in case available) should be sent to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please indicate “SSD-M&E Coordinator” in the subject line of email and mention your earliest date of availability
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the deadline. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.