Job Title Project Coordinator
Organisation Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. / Johanniter International Assistance
Johanniter-Unfall-Hilfe e.V. (www.thejohanniter.org) is a German Christian non-governmental organisation, dedicated to excellence in the field of first aid, ambulance service, social service programmes and other projects in the medical and social field. The Federal Headquarters are based in Berlin, Germany. Johanniter International Assistance is the operational unit for humanitarian aid, development co-operation and emergency relief, implementing and supporting mostly health projects worldwide.
Job Location North-Kivu / DR Congo (75% Nyamitaba/Masisi; 25% Goma)
Closing Date Application 17nd May 2019
Interviews are scheduled for: 22nd – 24th May 2019
The German Federal Ministry of Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)-funded health project with a running time of 31 months is implemented by Johanniter in close cooperation with the Ministry of Health.
Important components are those:
· Introduction of a mutual health insurance
· Carrying out various construction measures and equipping health care facilities
· Establishment and introduction of a central pharmacy
· Carrying out various training courses for medical staff
The aim of the project is to contribute to the sustainable functionality of the health care system in the two health zones of Masisi and Mweso, Nord-Kivu, DR Congo.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
Overall job purpose
Working directly under the responsibility of the Medical Projects Coordinator, the Project Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination and implementation of the project:
Sustainable improvement of the health service and the health of the population in the health zones of Masisi and Mweso, North Kivu, DR Congo ")
Reporting to: Medical Coordinator DRC (first line supervisor)
Head of Mission DRC (HoM, second line supervisor)
Receives technical advice from: Medical Coordinator DRC
Gives technical advice to: Project Coordinator Assistant
Standing in for: -/-
Replaced by: Other Project Coordinator or Project Development Assistant
- Coordination and implementation of the above-mentioned project
- Responsible for meeting project objectives and budget monitoring
- Oversee the donor compliance and ensure requested documentation
- Recruit and supervise national staff in the field in collaboration with the Medical Coordinator / HR and Finance Coordinator/ Logistics Coordinator
- Capacity building of local partner organisations and project related staff
- Reporting regularly to the Medical Coordinator and ensuring high-quality reporting on time
- Support management of the field bases (teams, resources, assets & equipment, supervision of finance, administration, logistics, etc.)
- Support the HoM in security management
- Represent Johanniter International when liaising with local authorities and partners, in coordinating with other NGOs, International Organisations, donors, etc.
- Support media and press work in accordance with HoM and Johanniter spokesperson at JUH-HQ Berlin
Professional Qualification and Experience:
The Project Coordinator needs to hold a BSc or MSc degree in a relevant field (preferably /public health/rural development…) or a comparable education and/or experience in a medical field.
- At least 3 years of experience in project coordination and implementation in a humanitarian context/international development
- Familiar in BMZ donor regulations including, reporting (narrative and financial) and managing of donor funds (BMZ)
- Experience in capacity building
- Experience in working with international and national partners, donors, health and other authorities
- Experience working in an insecure context
- Previous working experience in the region of African Great Lakes desirable
- Experience in the introduction and implementation of a public health insurance system (“Mutuelle de santé”) would be a strong asset.
- Specific skills and experiences related to health development project management
- Demonstrated skills in managing humanitarian transition projects from emergency to development
- Strong management, project planning and organizational skills
- Strong analytical, written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to work in a remote location in an unstable security environment;
- Cultural sensitivity and team competence;
- Sense of delegation and commitment to local capacity building;
- Common sense and being proactive;
- A high degree of team spirit, flexibility and physical resilience are required
- Skills in French and English essential. German and Kiswahili would be an asset.
Frequent travels to project sites are part of the job
Terms and Conditions
Start date: 1st June 2019
Contract duration: Definite contract for 12 months (with possible extension)
Remuneration: Between 41.118 € and 43.282 € annual gross salary (according to Johanniter AVR-DWBO Annex Johanniter) internal tariff and depending on relevant previous working experience).
Benefits: - Social security provisions (lump sum 375 € per month) (for expats not falling
under social security)
- special annual payment (13th month salary)
- International insurance package
- 29 days annual paid leave plus additional R&R regulations
- Yearly home flight (for contracts > 1 year)
- Per diems (for international postings) for days in project country (currently 56 €
Please note that this position is unaccompanied.
Contact and application process
Applications for this position (including a cover letter, CV, reference contacts of three former supervisors as well as job certificates if available) should be sent to: email@example.com. Please indicate “Project Coordinator DRC” in the subject line of your e-mail and mention your earliest date of availability.
Only complete applications will be considered. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Please be advised, that due to the urgency of the situation, we might start short-listing even before the end of the closing date.