Medical Teams International is building it's Humanitarian Response Roster and is currently seeking to add qaulified consultants in the following role:
Position Title: Emergency Public Health Specialist
Department: Humanitarian Response Team
Reports To: Humanitarian Response Team Leader or respective Country Director
Time Commitment: 1 month minimum
Position Summary: The Emergency Public Health Specialist will assist MTI’s Humanitarian Health Advisors in ensuring that programming is of excellent technical quality, attracts significant donor funding and contributes significantly to MTIs strategic objectives.
Medical Teams International provides medical and dental care, humanitarian assistance, and holistic development programs to all people in need around the world, regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race. Ahead of disasters, we also mobilize long-term health promotion initiatives, collaborating with established partners within each community to ensure that our programs have a sustainable impact.
Medical Teams International’s humanitarian response activities are designed to provide rapid and coordinated emergency response to the most vulnerable populations during and after a humanitarian emergency. Through partnerships with local health organizations, we provide emergency healthcare, primary health, community and public health programming for impacted communities, from emergency relief to development, saving lives and improving quality of care. MTI’s humanitarian response interventions include health, nutrition, and WASH.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Undertake multi-sectoral / health assessments.
- Develop health program design and related budgeting.
- Became an active member of the broader sector coordination mechanisms health working groups.
- Mentor and/or capacity build both international and national staff.
- Support health program recruitment and procurement.
- Assist MTIs Health Advisors in ensuring that programming is of excellent technical quality, suitable to attract donor funding and contributes significantly to MTI’s strategic objectives.
- Provide technical advice and support to project personnel to ensure programming objectives are successfully achieved, adhering to international and Ministry of Health Guidelines and policies.
- Contribute to achieving high program quality through evidence based work, and can contribute to new research around Health programming.
- Ensure smooth integration of MTI initiated program with substantial growth of the program both qualitatively and quantitatively.
- A health professional with a Master's Degree in public health, or equivalent and relevant field.
- Significant professional experience, at least 2 years, of working at an advisory and managerial level in Health for international NGOs, government or the private sector an advantage.
- Emergency Health and HIV/AIDs programming experience at community, primary and secondary health care levels.
- Excellent understanding of the Health sector within the humanitarian aid context, particularly issues related to maternal, new-born and child survival an advantage.
- Clear understanding of the intersection of Emergency health and HIV with other thematic areas, including nutrition, child protection, education, WASH and food security.
- Proven representation and advocacy skills.
- Strong commitment to capacity building of national staff and partners with willingness to adopt participatory and consultative approaches.
- Experience with Emergency health programming in humanitarian settings preferred.
- Experience writing donor funding proposals an advantage.
- Strong report writing skills and ability to compile narrative sections for proposals and donor reports.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels, taking into account cultural and language difficulties.
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills including influencing, negotiation and coaching.
- Highly developed cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international, stressful and security sensitive environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Strong results orientation, with the ability to challenge existing mind-sets.
- Committed to the values and principles of MTI.