Medical Teams International is building it's Humanitarian Response Roster and is currently seeking to add qaulified consultants in the following role:
Position Title: Security Coordinator
Department: Humanitarian Response Team (HuRT)
Reports To: Humanitarian Response Team Leader
Time Commitment: 1 month minimum
Position Summary: The Security Coordinator works at the direction of the Team Leader, and reports on technical issues to the Advisor responsible for Global Security. The primary function is to provide assistance to the Team Leader on all issues of safety and security as they relate to staff and programs in the country operation. The Security Coordinator oversees daily security management and manages and mentors Security Officers or other Security Focal Points. The Security Coordinator will monitor and assess security conditions, and make recommendations to the Team Leader as appropriate.
Medical Teams International provides medical and dental care, humanitarian assistance, and holistic development programs to all people in need around the world, regardless of religion, nationality, sex, or race. Ahead of emergencies, we also mobilize long-term health promotion initiatives, collaborating with established partners within each community to ensure that our programs have a sustainable impact.
Medical Teams International’s humanitarian response activities are designed to provide rapid and coordinated emergency response to the most vulnerable populations during and after a humanitarian emergency. Through partnerships with local health organizations, we provide emergency medical care, transitional health, and community programming for impacted communities, from emergency relief to development, saving lives and improving quality of care. MTI’s humanitarian response interventions include health, nutrition, and WASH.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
1. Security Management
- Develop and update the Country Safety and Security Instructions and SOP’s in their country operation
- Supervise and train security officers and security focal points
- Coordinate and monitor security activities to ensure that safety and security policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensure that all field personnel are fully aware of the current security threats and fully advised on means to reduce personnel vulnerability to those threats
- Design and drill warden systems, emergency communications networks, and provisioning of emergency supplies, including communications equipment for field personnel
- Ensure an internal incident tracking system is utilized and perform incident mapping and analysis
- Collects security related information from local and regional resources as it applies and communicates with the Team Leader and Security Advisor as appropriate
- Monitors the security preparedness of personnel and works with Team Leader to enforce compliance with security policies and SOPs
- When directed by the Team Leader, carry out investigations and capture lessons learned to be incorporated into future staff trainings
- Act as a key member of the Field Incident Management Team when required during a crisis so that safety policies and procedures are implemented
- Ensures Field Coordinators follow a servicing and maintenance schedule for vehicles
- Audits communications equipment and facilitates communications-related assistance when necessary
- Ensure induction security briefings are conducted to all personnel
- Ensure weekly security reports are completed and sent to headquarters, providing timely updates of all situational and security developments including investigation of security incidents
- Conducts and submits Security Risk Assessments of programs, as required
- Conducts and submits full Site Security Surveys of every MTI site
- Conducts and submits Trip Reports of all field deployments
- Maintain excellent records and logs to ensure continuity of this position
3. Human Resources
- Oversee the recruitment and selection of security field staff, recommend promotions, disciplinary action and termination of staff in consultation with the Team Leader
- Make frequent site visits to MTI facilities to carry out security assessments and ensure appropriate care and training are being conducted
- Maintain open lines of communications with all field staff
- Determine training needs for the security staff
- Train national staff to increase their responsibilities in order to build capacity and ensure sustainability
- Conduct any staff security training that is warranted.
- Build strong professional relationships with UN agencies, local authorities and other NGO’s
- Attends security coordination meetings and update Team Leader on current security issues
- Contribute to the creation of a positive image and overall credibility of the organization, notably through the application of the organizations Code of Conduct, ethics, values and professionalism with regard to internal and external actors
- Other duties as assigned. The duties and responsibilities listed are representative of the nature and level of work assigned and are not necessarily all inclusive.
- 1-2 years of field security experience in hostile environments or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to relate to and motivate national staff effectively
- Creativity and the ability to work with limited resources
- Extremely flexible with the ability to cope with stressful situations and frustrations
- Excellent decision making skills
- Ability to exercise sound judgment and make decisions independently
- First Aid training
- Ability to provide input to timely and accurate reports
- Demonstrated ability to work well as part of a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team.