To lead development of Médicos del Mundo (MdM) mission and projects identified in the region, ensuring alignment and appropriateness of actions in respect of MdM policies and action plans.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION:
The successful candidate will be based in Bor, Jonglei District, travelling frequently to Juba for institutional representation and attendance to clusters and relevant meetings.
The candidate will report to the Emergency Unit Coordinator at Headquarter.
Management / Strategic leadership:
• Ensure adequate information flow within the team.
• Oversee and coordinate the general functioning of the base and all departments / services.
• Ensure that the intervention is always respectful to MdM’s mandate, values and internal rules; to local cultural and legal rules.
• Ensure that new strategic orientations are taken into consideration and are implemented.
• Support and advise the national staffs, ensure professional grow through regular evaluations and contribute to ensure a progressive nationalization of expatriate positions.
• Provide leadership and support to the team.
• Follow contextual development in South Sudan and prepare updates for the biweekly mission SitRep.
• Update legal and operational context and provide presentation on a regular basis.
• Proactively monitor the political, military and security situation in the project areas and update HQ accordingly.
• Ensure that appropriate security guidelines are developed, communicated, adhered to, and regularly reviewed with the team.
• Propose new ideas and modalities to improve the project activities implementation considering contextual and legal developments.
• Ensure timely and accurate security / incident reports are sent to the Headquarters.
• Represent MdM with partners, stakeholders and authority in relationship to the intervention inside South Sudan.
• Ensure the implementation of the program and its follow-up in its different aspects: logistical, administrative and medical and report to the Emergency Unit Coordinator in HQ.
• Identify technical gaps and prepare a capacity building plan for partners.
• Contribute to proposal and project report writings.
• Coordinate the projects and strategy planning meetings.
• Maintain Partners MoUs and updating the drafts for renewal, based on understandings and developments of the projects.
• Maintain the map of project activities updated.
• Compile biweekly project activities report – SitRep.
• Contributing to donor reporting related to projects activities.
• Any other report requested by the Emergency Unit Coordinator in HQ.
• Ensure familiarity with donor compliance issues, ensuring all projects are compliant with these and MdM procedures
• Ensure appropriate administrative, financial and logistical MdM systems/procedures are in place, maintained and adhered to so that all support functions are carried out effectively and efficiently.
• Monitor expenditure and budget compliance on a regular basis, report any concerns to the operations coordinator.
• To perform any additional duties requested by the Emergency Unit Coordinator in HQ.
Academic background: Master’s degree in international development and/or Humanitarian Aid.
Other qualifications: Project and HR Management. Coordination and communication skills. Team management. Gender studies.
Language requirements: High level of spoken and written English.
Computer requirements: Office pack user level.
• Language requirements: High level of spoken and written English
• At least 3 years working in similar role.
• Previous experience in Emergencies contexts (preferable in armed conflicts) and knowledge of African contexts.
• Demonstrable experience in Team management and Security management.
• Gender awareness and experience mainstreaming gender in emergency programs
• Experience with different modalities of working (e.g. Remote management).
• Excellent organizational capacity.
• Excellent planning, management and coordination skills.
• Strong communication (written and spoken) and interpersonal skills with experience in managing a diverse team of local employees.
• Stress management.
• Willing and able to work productively in a challenging environment.
• Cultural awareness and adaptability.
• Sensitive to gender issues and their inclusion in projects
• Assertive and diplomatic.
• Good team work and networking skills.
• Strict compliance with the safety protocols established for the country and MdM mission.
• Alignment with principles and ethics of Médicos del Mundo.
• Identification with the lines of work, values and mission of Médicos del Mundo.
Immediate deployment. Contract length: 3 months (with possibility to extension).