The Field Coordinator is directly responsible for the management of the field base (located in Bor) and for all Medicos del Mundo (MdM) operations in Jonglei State, South Sudan. The Field Coordinator is also responsible for institutional representation of the organization in Jonglei State, ensuring that its programmes are in line with MdM's policies and strategies and ensuring a continuous dialogue with local authorities and key stakeholders in Jonglei State.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION
The successful candidate will be based in Jonglei State, South Sudan.
The successful candidate will report to the General Country Coordinator (GenCo) and work in close collaboration with the rest of South Sudan Coordination Team (Juba Level). He/she will be the direct line manager for two Project Coordinators in Jonglei State.
- Direct supervises MdM two Project Coordinators in Jonglei State.
- Designs and implements a Programmatic Strategy for MdM in Jonglei State.
- Guarantees that ongoing projects in Jonglei State are designed in line with organization’s policies according to MdM strategy in Jonglei State.
- Participates actively in the definition of new projects.
- Ensures and updates context analysis of the humanitarian situation in Jonglei State.
- Monitors the needs of targeted affected populations in the Counties/Districts of interventions according to ad hoc assessments and information from the ongoing projects and strategical documents.
- Ensures permanent dialogue with key Jonglei Sate Authorities and participates actively in regional clusters, group meetings and spaces with key stakeholders.
- Represents MdM before local authorities, partners and public administration.
- Participates, together with Project Coordinators, in the definition of human and material resources (needs to ensure the correct implementation of activities).
- Participates in strategy development and proposes new interventions in function of the needs identified by the Project Coordinators and contributes actively in the research of new funding opportunities.
- Ensures monthly SITREPs are completed and sent on time to General Country Coordinator (GenCo).
- Centralises and disseminates information from/to the field and consolidates the internal and external reporting activities implemented before submitting them to the General Country Coordinator.
- With support from the Logistics Country Coordinator, Administrative Country Coordinator, and the General Country Coordinator, ensures that the MdM Base and guesthouse in Bor operate based on MdM’s existing procedures.
- Ensures Logistics, Financial and HR Policies are known and well implemented among the ongoing projects, working closely with Projects Coordinators.
- Coordinates the teams and ensures proper implementation of the programs on the field, in close collaboration with the General Country Coordinator, Projects Coordinators and the technical advisors at coordination level.
- In close collaboration with the Logistics Coordinator, ensures proper implementation of logistics procedures for Bor office, guesthouse, warehousing, asset management, vehicles management and communications systems and maintenance.
- With the assistance from the Administrative Coordinator and the General Country Coordinator, ensures that HR management policies for MdM mission in South Sudan are adhered to through transparent recruitment procedures, respect of internal rules and regulations, performance reviews, complaints systems, salary scale, local payroll etc.
- With support from the General Country Coordinator, overall responsible for the respect and adherence by expatriate and local team members present in Bor Base to MdM Code of Conduct including Prevention of Sexual Harassment, Exploitation, and Abuse Policy (PSHEA).
- In close collaboration with the General Country Coordinator (Genco) and the Logistics Country Coordinator, the Field Coordinator is responsible for the security management in the area.
- Ensures solid networking and in-depth and regular information collection on the situation in the area under his/her responsibility.
- Oversees that security related logistical support for the operations is functional.
- Briefs the General Country Coordinator regularly on the security situation in the area of responsibility.
Academic background: University degree.
Desirable: Public Health/Environmental health/ any medical background/Gender.
Language requirements: High level of spoken and written English.
Computer requirements: Office pack user level.
The successful candidate must have at least 3 years’ experience in coordination positions.
Previous work on emergency responses in similar contexts, particularly in Africa, will be considered an asset.
- Ability to classify and manage priorities
- High autonomy
- Organizational skills and rigor
- Excellent knowledge of project cycle management and programming
- Excellent reporting skills (progress report / donor / report / authorities…)
- Excellent communication skills with sense of diplomacy
- Proven capacity for personnel leadership and management
- Understanding and adherence to humanitarian principle
- Strong commitment to the organization and its values
- Ability to work in difficult living conditions (isolated area)
Immediately: 6 months (possible extension)
Medicos del Mundo’s Salary charts