The main objective of this position is to manage and further develop the MHPSS component of the project currently implemented by MDM in the area ensuring appropriateness of actions in respect to the needs of the population and of Médicos del Mundo (MdM) policies. The MHPSS Co is involved in ongoing monitoring of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support needs and problematics, design of activities that effectively respond to the population´s needs, team leadership and ongoing capacity building for local MHPSS staff, coordination with Primary Health Care (PHC) team and other service providers to work towards a holistic and integrated MHPSS response.
He/she will also ensure an appropriate MHPSS approach in the project aligned with the IASC MHPSS guidelines for emergencies and humanitarian settings. He/she will be in charge of the MHPSS team deployed in the field and of planning and implementing trainings to staff.
GEOGRAPHICAL SCOPE OF INTERVENTION:
The successful candidate will be based in NES (Amuda/Kobane) and Dohuk, Northern Iraq (Kurdistan Iraq) when applicable.
The Mental Health and Psychosocial Support coordinator will be part of a comprehensive team set up by MdM Network to implement comprehensive PHC services in different locations in NES. He/she will report to the NES Coordinator and work in close collaboration with the Medical Coordinator.
Regular follow ups will be established with the MHPSS technical referents in Madrid HQ.
- Ongoing monitoring of Mental Health and Psychosocial Support needs and problematic in NES,
- Design of MHPSS activities that respond to the population´s needs,
- Leading the design of MHPSS interventions in future project locations in NES.
- Coordination with Primary Health Care (PHC) team and other service providers to work towards a holistic and integrated MHPSS response.
- Consider the need for different levels of MHPSS care and establish adequate program activities or referral paths for clients.
- Ensure an appropriate MHPSS approach in the project aligned with the IASC MHPSS guidelines for emergencies and humanitarian settings.
- Consider available options and develop systems for the provision of staff care for all MDM local staff.
- Provision of strategic leadership for MHPSS program team in current and future project locations.
- Recruitment, capacity building, supervision, and appraisal of local MHPSS staff
- Conduct clinical supervision to field MHPSS staff
Coordination of Community Health Work
- Ensuring systems are in place for effective community health work in project locations including in the following components: 1) bridging reciprocal communication between MDM and the community, 2) identifying people in need of health, mental health or psychosocial care, 3) facilitating their access to MDM and other services, 4) conducting general health and mental health promotion activities, and 5) supporting MDM in monitoring and seeking response to general issues facing the camp population.
- Actively participate in interagency collaboration efforts and working groups relevant to MHPSS
- Coordinate with other agencies to build referral paths for MHPSS clients
- Enhance coordination with other MHPSS and protection services, including for the protection of women, children, survivors of violence, and other populations at heightened risk.
Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning for MHPSS
- Produce adequate reports of activities and enhance data management systems together with project´s data management worker.
- Promote community participation in program activities through satisfaction surveys, feedback and complaints mechanisms, etc.
- Support the implementation of mechanisms for Protection from Sexual Exploitation and Abuse (PSEA) in all MDM NES programs
Required: Licenced Psychologist or Psychiatrist, preferably holding a Master degree in relevant discipline, with successful clinical and humanitarian field experiences on mental health and psychosocial activities in international or emergency cooperation projects.
Holding a Master or Course on Gender & International Cooperation is a strong asset
Prior work experience in MHPSS programs in international and humanitarian settings is required.
Experience working with refugees or internally displaced populations in conflicts, strong understanding of protection issues facing these populations and groups at heightened vulnerability
Experience in gender approach in emergency context is a strong asset
Languages: English required, Arabic or Kurdish are an asset.
Computing: Microsoft Office
Incorporation date: 15 February 2019. 6 months (renewable)
Medicos del Mundo’s Salary charts.
R&R policy applicable.
Hazard allowance policy applicable.